Saturday, July 21, 2012

The Sunday Mini Challenge

Surprise, it is me, Ella posting the Sunday Mini Challenge. Today I would like you to time travel with me, to another era. Yes, I have been swimming in the attic again, with the dust motes.  This time I found a box of sepia photos tucked away in an old trunk. I love vintage photos. I love the look, the outfits, and the time worn color. I wonder what  their lives were like?!    On occasion, I  purchase photos and use them in my art work.  These are from my personal stash. 

Your challenge is  to adopt an ancestor and give him or her a voice.  Imagine what they lives were like, their struggles and their joy.   Who where they?  What was their day like?  What was their name?  Adopt an ancestor and give us clues, about their past.   Select a photo, that stirs an emotion in you.

Here are a few photos I purchased. If nothing speaks to you go to this web site and select one. If you select from this site or another one, be sure to link it to the owner.  :D



I look forward to kicking the dust around with you and see what memories are stirred. This reminds me, I need to make sure I write and date all my personal, family photos.  Do you date and write names on all of yours?   I know with online photos we have advantages, but I still enjoy holding a vintage photo and reliving a memory.  I can't wait to hear your voice behind these faded photos!


15 comments:

Susan said...

I don't know why I got this challenge in Thursday's google reader, but I did, so this has been posted for a couple of days just waiting for Mr. Linky. This prompt was a lot of fun! I'm keeping it in my list of "inspirations."

Mary said...

Ella, I did a slight variation on your prompt. I used old family photos of my own.

Ella said...

Mary-Wonderful idea! Yes, any way you want to do it is fine with me~

Susan-I know there was a glitch...on the birthday post...all is good!
I guess it gave some more time to prepare! Thank you~

Scarlet said...

Well, I followed Mary and used one from the family's album too ~

Thanks for the lovely prompt ~

Kenia Santos said...

What a great challenge. I love vintage photos and I'm always flicking through the Library of Congress collections http://www.loc.gov/pictures/

I'll try to write something, Ella. Thanks for a lovely challenge. :)

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I love this prompt, Ellie....I, too, used my own treasure trove of photos but still have to think up a poem....tomorrow morning, will work on it. I so love the stories behind old photos......GREAT idea!

flipside records said...

I wrote you two, Ella. I hope that's okay. This was a fun prompt. :)

Kay L. Davies said...

Ella, I have chosen old photos of my grandmother and my mother. I would love to try to give them voices, but It will probably take time.
Luv, K

Unknown said...

t\his is something I had already written not about one particular person but more about the feelings that are stirred by looking at old photos x

flipside records said...

We're off to church and then dropping our oldest daughter off for a weeklong camp. (I'm totally freaking out.) So I'll be by this afternoon to read the other poems. Hope everyone has a nice day. :)

Hannah said...

Ella!! Thank you...this is a wonderful prompt!! :)'s!!

Marian said...

thank you, Ella. xoxo

Sara McNulty said...

Sorry, I posted my name under the wrong prompt.

Kay L. Davies said...

I've been trying to come up with something using my old family photos, but have been unsuccessful so far, Ella. Perhaps I'll try using one of the photos you provided — less emotion, more imagination.
Meanwhile, I haven't been commenting because I don't like to do that while writing my own. I'm SO easily influenced by others, even at my age. LOL
K

Ella said...

Thank you everyone! I so enjoyed all of the unique views~ I love how you embraced this challenge sharing your photos and imagination! :D