Saturday, September 1, 2012

The Sunday Challenge ~ Featuring Laurie Kolp

I am so happy to be introducing one of our very own toads for our last feature item on photographers for this year.  Laurie Kolp is an award-winning writer. She holds a Bachelor of Science degree in curriculum and instruction with a specialty in reading from Texas A&M University. She taught school for twelve years. Now she tutors children with dyslexia and takes care of her family (with iPhone always handy). Laurie is a member of The Academy of American Poets, and lives in Southeast Texas with her husband, three children and two dogs.

Self-Portrait of the Artist

For as long as I can remember, I've carried a notepad and pencil in one hand and a camera in the other. Now I have it all wrapped into one very special smart phone, and I always have it with me. Aren't we spoiled?


© Laurie Kolp
Horse Buggy ~ New Orleans

I like to view the world with virgin eyes. When I'm writing poetry based on a certain prompt, I try to touch upon a different aspect of it, such as adding a different twist or vague interpretation... some based on my past experiences in life, some not. Here is an example from Mary's Mixed Bag prompt, Neighborhoods:

College Apartments
by Laurie Kolp

Clanky
hanky-panky,
flashing views
like cymbals clashing. I
hear the echoes, smell
the beer, hide from the fear
with college textbooks,
reading pleasure while I
lie alone on the lawn,
bikini clad and covered up-
drinking in the atmosphere
away from the rumpus
ruckus at the pool,
away from the dissent
having spent
my childhood years
in disaccord, discord,
feeling discarded.

This is not your typical "neighborhood" response, which is my goal; to see things differently, make YOU think differently.


© Laurie Kolp

The same is true in photography. Family trip photos are not your typical stand-before-the-landmark-and-smile memories as you can see in the Disney Family picture above.


© Laurie Kolp

Writing poetry and taking pictures puts me in the moment, stills my worrisome mind as I concentrate on the creative task before me. Both mediums provide tangible results for my inner thoughts. I find so much beauty in the world and am captivated by life, but I especially feel a connection with my higher power when I'm outside. In the quiet stillness of nature, I can hear the guidance of a still small voice inside of me.


© Laurie Kolp


I believe pictures are visual forms of poetry. They capture a unique moment in time which can later be used for inspiration. For me, snapshots touch upon my sensitivity to the world and how I interpret things around me... perceptions, misconceptions; it matters not. Everyone sees things differently. Each time I look at one of my photos is like the first time.


© Laurie Kolp
New York Subway

I recently started a blog, 100 Lazy Days, to display my pictures for a certain challenge. I absolutely love going back through my gazillion photos and selecting the ones I choose to share. I think I'll have to do another hundred days when these are up.


© Laurie Kolp


Some of Laurie Kolp’s publications include Writer’s Digest, Red River Review, TUCK Magazine, SKIVE Magazine, Poetry Quarterly, pay attention: a river of stones, The Christian Communicator, Christmas Miracles, The Dead Mule’s School Society of Southern Literature, Chicken Soup for the Soul: Devotional Stories for Tough Times. She is also published in numerous online magazines and anthologies.
Her poetry blogs are Laurie Kolp Poetry and Bird's Eye Gemini.
Laurie has generously offered these beautiful photos for our poetic inspiration. If you add an image to your post, please acknowledge the name of the artist.

The Sunday Challenge is posted on Saturday at noon CST to allow extra time for the creative process, so please do not link up old work which kind of fits the image. This is in the spirit of our Real Toads project to create opportunities for poets to be newly inspired. Management reserves the right to remove unrelated links but invites you to share a poem of your choice on Open Link Monday.


12 comments:

Laurie Kolp said...

Thank you, Kerry, for sharing another side of me. I appreciate all of you so much!

Kerry O'Connor said...

Thank you for sharing your work with us, Laurie. This is a most interesting side to you. I especially like your ideas on perspective, in both poetry and photography.

sm said...

beautiful pics

Hannah said...

Laurie!! You're so inspiring! Thank you for creative YOU! Smiles...I really enjoyed this feature of you and writing to your image...great fun...thank you Kerry and Laurie!

Catch My Words said...

My daughter has an amazing college apartment, but your poem fits the one my son lived in.

http://joycelansky.blogspot.com

Susan said...

Hi Kerry and Laurie! I'm still out of town and taking a break from my storytelling workshop to be inspired with you and the shots you take, Laurie, so particularly relevant to me here. I'm telling a story about a mime, I think. I'm not sure. Going back now to work on that now with this added inspiration. Hugs to both of you and great thanks.

Mary said...

Laurie, wonderful photos. I wrote to the 'photo of the artist.' That was my fav.

Marian said...

wonderful, Laurie! i might come back and write to another one, too.

Kerry O'Connor said...

These are a wonderful source of inspiration, but Alas!, I am struggling with the words at present. I seem to have hit a wall and it is very frustrating.

flipside records said...

I loved this post and all your photos, Laurie. Thanks so much for sharing them with us! The picture you took of yourself is my favorite. :)

Laurie Kolp said...

Thanks, Shawna... and thanks to all of you.

Susie Clevenger said...

Thanks for sharing your images Laurie. Great photographs!