Monday, May 5, 2014

Open Link Monday

Welcome to The Imaginary Garden ...

photo credit: Danny Perez Photography via photopin cc

“Every day we slaughter our finest impulses. That is why we get a heartache when we read those lines written by the hand of a master and recognize them as our own, as the tender shoots which we stifled because we lacked the faith to believe in our own powers, our own criterion of truth and beauty. Every man, when he gets quiet, when he becomes desperately honest with himself, is capable of uttering profound truths. We all derive from the same source. there is no mystery about the origin of things. We are all part of creation, all kings, all poets, all musicians; we have only to open up, only to discover what is already there.” ― Henry Miller

Today I am sharing these thoughts of Henry Miller on the process of writing. I especially relate to his reference to collective human consciousness: We all derive from the same source... Part of what makes reading poetry so worthwhile to me, is discovering how much we all share in terms of heart and head. The writer's ability to make me see as he/she has seen, or feel deeply at the turn of a phrase reminds me that poetry is the essence of human experience.

Now on this first Monday in May, I invite all poets to enter this meeting place, share your work and take the time to read what others have written. My hope is that you will leave, feeling enriched for having spent some time in the garden.


23 comments:

Anonymous said...

good week to all ~ M

Kenia Santos said...

Morning Toads. I have started a side project last night, which is what you'll see from me today, from time to time I need to start fresh, I need to say things outside my own space, then I go somewhere else. But I won't abandon my Exercise!

Happy Monday everyone!

avalon said...

It is amazing to observe how ideas float worldwide. I'm sure Henry Miller would have enjoyed seeing the way this happens these days.
Thank you for giving me the chance to catch up with some of the wonderful April prompts.

Fireblossom said...

I tried to do a vignette, but as usual, I had no idea what I was doing, and so it ended up parking itself here instead!

Gail said...

Thanks for the challenge and the good reads.

Marian said...

good morning, everyone.

Anonymous said...

love henry miller--or I should say used to love him as I've not read him in so long I can no longer be sure. I'm putting my vignette here to. I have been working on it on a train, so I don't think it's working out so well as the internet connection keeps starting and stopping. Oh well. Thanks, Kerry--K.

Brandee Shafer said...

What a wonderful quote. You've enriched my day by sharing it.

Magaly Guerrero said...

I was going to skip today, but... you made me not want to. Gracias!

Marian said...

SOS to Jo-Hanna: your link comes back to the Real Toads page.

Unknown said...

Life is simmering down from the boil. I have a little more time to create. Happy to play in The Garden today.

Anonymous said...

Hey Kerry can you take off my link as I off train now and on street but want to change the poem now I am soon to be in a quiet place.

Timoteo said...

Great to see you again, Toads!

Anonymous said...

Hey Kerry - please keep up the link--I took down the post--fiddled with it--and now I put it back up again. Not quite what I want, but I'll leave it up. Thanks--sorry for the confusion--a topsy-turvy morning. K.

Susan said...

Happy Week! I wrote something new, inspired by reading lots of Laurie Kolp poetry yesterday. Today's a fibromyalgia flare-up day, so it tired me out but I will be back to read later.

Susan said...

PS: I love today's reflection and its picture, Kerry.

Unknown said...

Kerry... I've had this quote above my desk for years. It's an ideal reminder to live authentically, openly, confidently.

Susie Clevenger said...

Beautiful picture!! Hope all have a great week!!

colleen said...

Wow. Well said. It's like the fountain of youth but more a fountain of truth.

Anonymous said...

Flying high...

Anonymous said...

Flying high...

Bekkie Sanchez said...

I decided to join you again this week. I hope I wrote about the right thing and you like it! Thanks so much!

Kerridwen said...

Now that NaPo is over, it's going to be a little harder for me to post poetry. I usually don't blog about it! So for today, an older poem ;)