Friday, October 10, 2014

I See How You Are






We spent some time with Donna the Buffalo back in the spring, when Jeb Puryear made us all feel better with his song Working On That. But there are two tremendous songwriters in this fantastic band--and I thought you all really needed to hear from Tara Nevins as well. An extremely talented multi-instrumentalist who offers fiddle, accordion, and rubboard to the Cajun-inspired songs of Donna the Buffalo, she usually plays guitar on her own songs, like this one. I just love this stripped-down version, kind of a throwback to the Everly Brothers, maybe.

Looking forward to reading your (new) poems inspired by Tara Nevins, Donna the Buffalo, disappointment, not knowing where to start, troubled hearts, rhinestones, life out on the front porch, or whatever else this lovely tune might bring to mind.

10 comments:

Jim said...

Is Tara a sister of or a wife to one of the Nevins brothers. They used to come or our Mardi Gra celebrations at Galveston. They still might come.
This challenge will be hard for me. I will think about it while I sleep. We will see.
Thanks though, good things don't necessarily come easy.
..

MorningAJ said...

Thank you for bringing back a happy memory. I'd almost forgotten how much I enjoyed myself one evening many years ago. I've written a bit of poetic nonsense for you.

brudberg said...

I always look forward to your prompts to widen my musical horizon... I will let the music play .. I have them on spotify.. which makes my listening easy...

Kerry O'Connor said...

I like her straight forward approach to a universal and age old problem of relationships. She tells it like it is. Great vocals and instrumentals!

Debi Swim said...

Well, I tried, I can at least say that and while it isn't quite as bad as "I have tears in my ears from laying on my back and crying over you" it's close : )
Kidding aside, thank you so much for posting this. I never heard of the group or Tara and it is wonderful. I'll be checking out more for sure.

Helen said...

I thoroughly enjoyed the video, Marian .. now, for a poem.

Margaret said...

Thank you! My husband and I want so badly to just go up into the small mountain towns and listen to a night of music… I had to play quickly today as it is supposed to rain and I need to get out to the barn and ride. I'll be back later tonight to visit and comment.

LB said...

Makes me think of mountains, camping, heart-breaking country music and hopelessly being in love.

Marian said...

hi everyone! sorry, i've been flat out all day with work deadlines... but glad this resonated, i thought it would. :) i'll catch up and read everyone's submissions, probably tomorrow morning (and write my own, ack!) and i'll keep checking in for any late entries, which of course are welcomed. encouraged, even. xoxoxox m.

Helen said...

Forgive please ... I journeyed back in time to September 2012 ~ put music to a poem I wrote. Had wanted to for a long time. Bluegrass is contagious.