Monday, October 6, 2014

Open Link Monday

Welcome to the Imaginary Garden ...

photo credit: Denis Collette...!!! via photopin cc
I thought that for this OLM, we would draw inspiration from poets born in October.

Dylan Thomas, born 27 October 1914, reminds the reader of the insidious passage of time in these memorable lines from Fern Hill:

Nothing I cared, in the lamb white days, that time would take me
Up to the swallow thronged loft by the shadow of my hand,
In the moon that is always rising...     (Click HERE for a reading)

Sylvia Plath, born 27 October 1932, boldly considers her own mortality in the poem Lady Lazarus:

The second time I meant
To last it out and not come back at all.
I rocked shut

As a seashell.
They had to call and call
And pick the worms off me like sticky pearls.

Dying
Is an art, like everything else... (Click HERE for a reading)

e.e. cummings, born 14 October 1894, shows, rather than tells the reader the essence of love, in somewhere i have never travelled,gladly beyond:

(i do not know what it is about you that closes
and opens;only something in me understands
the voice of your eyes is deeper than all roses)  Click HERE for a reading.

Such poetry is, to me, a gift and a legacy of all that is good about humanity: 'everything which is natural which is infinite which is yes'. Do you have a poem that you would like to share with us today? Please link up a piece of your choice and join us in reading and responding to the best of online poetry.




11 comments:

brudberg said...

I will get back commenting.. but today I submitted a little vocabulary in the form of political satire.

Fireblossom said...

I'm in with a way oldie from the first year of my blog. Happy Monday everyone!

Kerry O'Connor said...

I love the chance to read oldies!

Marian said...

some kinda inspiration, Kerry! thank you. i'm posting my 55 because i'm late late late. xo to all--

Magaly Guerrero said...

October is one of the best months to think about the things and people that were, what they left behind, how they've affected it us and the world...

Happy Monday!

hedgewitch said...

A ghost story, because it's that time of year. Back later to visit.

Stacy M.S. said...

i linked up, i'll be back later this afternoon to visit everyone. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Kerry--I had not read the prompt when jotting down this short poem, and it does have to do with passage of seasons but, for once, is not such a heavy poem. Now I'm thinking I should have put in a more Plathian one from the other day--ha! But this one is short at least! Thanks for inspiration. k.

Unknown said...

The garden is my safe haven this morning. Thank you!

Jim said...

Hi Kerry ~~ I had planned on posting my Sunday response to the Saturday Challenge but I see the challenge is greater this time.
This is an (old) on-line poem of Leigh Hunt's that I am responding to, it is one of my favorite classics.
..

Gail said...

My poem came from a dream.