Saturday, November 28, 2015

Waiting for something good... or not

I know that for many of you, this weekend is part of Thanksgiving, but where I live this Sunday is the first of advent. Traditionally this means that we light the first candle of four, waiting for Christmas. If you are religious this would mean a time to contemplate, you would fast and pray. As a kid it meant to count down the time till Christmas, burning candles. When I got older it was finding the perfect gifts to parents and siblings, later lovers too.



Fisherwives Waiting for the Boats to Return by Eugene Boudin


This brings me to the prompt of today which is to write a poem about waiting. There are so many aspects of waiting. Are you the thing you wait for something good or bad. Is it a party to wait for, maybe a birthday, a visit from a friend. Or is it the prickling sense of waiting for a test-result, maybe for yourself or someone that you love. Waiting change the scale of time.


Waiting can also be through your own doings, you might procrastinate, make delays. Maybe force others to wait for you.


As one inspiration I found this poem by John Burroughs.


Waiting


Serene, I fold my hands and wait,
Nor care for wind, nor tide, nor sea;
I rave no more 'gainst time or fate,
For lo! my own shall come to me.


I stay my haste, I make delays,
For what avails this eager pace?
I stand amid the eternal ways,
And what is mine shall know my face.


Asleep, awake, by night or day,
The friends I seek are seeking me;
No wind can drive my bark astray,
Nor change the tide of destiny.


What matter if I stand alone?
I wait with joy the coming years;
My heart shall reap where it hath sown,
And garner up its fruit of tears.


The waters know their own and draw
The brook that springs in yonder height;
So flows the good with equal law
Unto the soul of pure delight.


The stars come nightly to the sky;
The tidal wave unto the sea;
Nor time, nor space, nor deep, nor high,
Can keep my own away from me.


Try to focus on the sensations that you feel when waiting. Is it worry, anticipation or maybe even calm and silence just before the guests arrives and you know that everything is ready and prepared. Try to dress your feelings into metaphors, and images, also try to be specific, maybe use conceit to hide the reason. You can write to form or not, it’s entirely up to you.

Of course I’m fine with poems about advent as well… Just link up your freshly written poem and read what others might have to say.





11 comments:

Kerry O'Connor said...

I shall have to wait until after my time away from home and poetry writing, and return to this prompt later in the month. Thanks, Bjorn.

brudberg said...

I will add my poem later.. Christmas shopping can be a lot of waiting.

Anonymous said...

my shopping is waiting for me!

Jim said...

Nice prompt, Bjorn. I wrote most of mine while watching a football game tonight. There won't be too many metaphors when multitasking.
Still, I gaged it worth posting here anyway. Please let it stay.
..

brudberg said...

I'm waiting for more entries ;-)

Fireblossom said...

Thanksgiving is over. Where the heck is everybody?

Susie Clevenger said...

Great prompt! I will see what I can come up with!

Anonymous said...

added mine. Commenting is hard on Blogspot when you've no account on here. It deleted my comment a few times before accepting it. So I hope it's okay if I don't always comment and just add my link and ping back this page. Technology is supposed to make life easier but today it's not. Oh well. Maybe tomorrow.

brudberg said...

Melinda, commenting across blogging platforms is one of the things many of us learn to struggle with... I decided to use my google account to comment on blogger, and that works fine.

Gillena Cox said...

Its Monday night, and i only just, got it together; hope you all enjoy this one
HAPPY ADVENT

much love...

Carol Campbell said...

Finally! It took me quite awhile. Great prompt as always!