Thursday, September 6, 2012

it's better to have it

Toads, please travel with me to 1966. Nashville, Tennessee. We're going to watch the television program THE!!!! BEAT featuring the great rhythm and blues guitarist and singer MISS BARBARA LYNN.


Barbara Lynn was born in Beaumont, Texas in 1942. She played piano as a child but switched to guitar and put together an all-girl band called Bobbie Lynn and Her Idols. Her first single, "You'll Lose a Good Thing," was the number one Billboard R&B hit in 1962 (bumping "I Can't Stop Loving You" by Ray Charles from number one) and was later a country top ten hit for Freddy Fender.



 

Not only was Barbara Lynn a female instrumentalist (one of the very first to hit the charts), but she also played left-handed--quite well at that--and even wrote some of her own material. I can't stop watching her videos, so here's one more, my favorite, "What'd I Say."



Barbara Lynn's music career continues now. Visit her MySpace page to listen to some more recent songs. Wow!

I don't know about you, but this music transports me. Let it take you where it wants, and share with us your journey! Can't wait to read what you write.

17 comments:

Gemma Wiseman said...

Her voice stirs the strings of the heart! Always so moving!

Fireblossom said...

The bottom video doesn't appear. Apparently the poster has closed their account. :-(

In the waning days of my marriage, "You'll Lose A Good Thing" was my theme song.

Unknown said...

My mom just died today. I don't even know why I'm here blogging when I'm supposed to be at the wake.

Marian said...

working on uploading the last video again! it's the best :)

amidemanila, so sorry for your loss. :(

Marian said...

okay, i believe you all should be able to see the third video now. i'll be around a bit later to read your poems! happy friday, friends.

Kerry O'Connor said...

What a fabulous singer - so relaxed with her instrument and confident in her stage presence. I'm sorry to say I'm not familiar with her career.
Thanks, Marian.

Helen said...

I was among the lucky who got to see the third video last night ... classic stuff! ++ nice prompt

Sherry Blue Sky said...

OMG, this music takes me RIGHT BACK!!!! I was not familiar with this woman, but LOVE her stuff, so evocative of the times......sigh.

Susan said...

This moved me. I'm certain I heard her before, but I was not aware of her! Hoe can that be? So Sorry, Barbara! And I love the blues. I was going to re-post what I wrote for your last blues prompt, Marian, but this came tumbling out of me instead. I hope you like it, both of you.

Ella said...

I can't wait to be transported~ AC issues again...augh!
Hope everyone is doing well...
Off to listen and dream I'm somewhere cool~ Thanks Marian

Fireblossom said...

Mine is written and will auto-post at 12:01 pm today (Saturday) while I am at work. I'll link it when I get home.

Marian said...

so glad everyone enjoyed this prompt. i find Barbara Lynn's music and her presence so inspiring. not to mention that crazy show with the go-go dancers! love it.

Laurie Kolp said...

Love this prompt, Marian! I live in Beaumont, TX and will definitely participate when I get a chance.

Laurie Kolp said...

Ok- I posted one. Thanks.

Marian said...

aw! you gotta look her up, Laurie. it's my impression that she moved back there at some point. though i wasn't able to find anything in the last couple of years, even that myspace channel hadn't been updated recently. hmmmmm.

Susie Clevenger said...

Love Barbara's music and the challenge. Music always speaks to me.

Marian said...

me, too, Susie. so no one is sick of a monthly music prompt? because i'm not if you're not. :)