Thursday, June 16, 2016

From the Black Mirror

Charlie Brooker used the powered down screen of his cell phone
to inspire his award-winning Sci-Fi series "Black Mirror." What will you find in yours?

Greetings Garden Dwellers!

Welcome back to Out of Standard, where I will set before you a challenge to defy the conventions of a particular theme.  I will call upon you to write out of the standard and find new places in the everyday and even share a small part of yourself with the Real Toads community.  It is in that spirit in which I present June’s challenge...

FROM THE BLACK MIRROR

Cell phones can some times steal too much of our attention, their darkened monitors beckoning us to their black mirror surface. Today, we take some of that time and creative energy back. I am calling all toads to pick up their cell phones for some inspirado.  

Take the last text message you received and use it in a poem.  Good luck on handling emojis!!!

For any muddy buddies without a cell phone or who abstain from text messaging, use the first line from last email you received instead. 


KEEP IN MIND 

Like every challenge, your poem must by newly written for this challenge and not one which you have previously written which conveniently fits the theme.  


So go now, my muddy buddies, and bring us back something shiny and new. 

11 comments:

Kerry O'Connor said...

This is a very interesting starting point for poetry, Izy.

Outlawyer said...

Hey Izy--I am traveling right now and am not so up for writing poem--keep breaking my head against a novel, but it is a very cool prompt, and if I can take a break from the breaking will try. k.

Jim said...

This ought to be a fun drill for all. I sound like a wet blanket but my story is true, as is the poem.
I WILL BE LATE WITH MY VISIT RETURNS AS WE ARE STILL ON THE ROADE. Thanks for putting up with me.
..

Jim said...

Oops, a slip above. We did visit 'ROADE, U.K.' today.
..

Susie Clevenger said...

Great prompt!

Anonymous said...

Now this is different for a prompt, that is for sure, I like it!

Anonymous said...

Mine is actually a poetry-driven surrealistic fiction scene I am excited about--dark fairy tale style
Fun!
amy

Angie said...

My last text message turned out to be an ice cream poem for Father's Day. Thanks for the treat, Izy

brudberg said...

My message box and email box was all too boring to use for poetry... thank god for what I found in the spam box.

Hannah said...

Thank you, so much for this fun challenge! I'll be making rounds. :)

Gillena Cox said...

Late and luving this prompt, And!!! you know how i do it, light and witty

much love...